Walsingham Abbey Grounds & Shirehall Museum

Walsingham Abbey Grounds & Shirehall Museum

Common Place
NR22 6BP

+44 (0)1328 820510

A centre of pilgrimage

The Shirehall Museum is in a 16th century building that was built as a hostel for important visitors to the Augustinian priory next door. In the 1770s it became Walsingham’s court house and the court room, which was in use until 1971, is still intact.

The museum tells the stories of Walsingham as a place of pilgrimage from 1061, and of life in the two Norfolk villages of Little and Great Walsingham. In addition to housing the Tourist Information Centre the museum is the start point for guided of walks of Walsingham.

Your museum ticket includes entry to Walsingham Abbey Grounds – 18 acres encompassing the priory ruins, river walks and woodland. These attractive grounds have been managed to be wildlife-friendly and are famed for their spring snowdrops.

Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours.

Visit their website for information about opening times, admission prices and facilities.